Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (天元突破グレンラガン Tengen Toppa Guren Ragan?, literally "Heaven-Piercing Gurren Lagann") is the titular mecha of Gurren Lagann. In the TV Series it is the strongest mecha, however, the movies give that title to the Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
By combining his own Spiral Energy with his comrades, Simon created the true titular entity, which he titles, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, in the final battle against the Anti-Spirals. Not actually a mecha by traditional means, the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is actually a mass of continuously materialized Spiral Energy (similar to the Spiral technique used to materialize Drills) on the scale of a galaxy.
Though being similar to the Gurren Lagann, its design is overall very different from other mecha in the series, its armor being made up of red skulls, illuminated by the storm of Spiral Energy that burns continuously from its core, giving it the appearance of Team Dai-Gurren's emblem. Of its many faces, the primary "cockpits" contain: Simon and Nia in the head, Viral the torso, Yoko in the right shin, and Leeron in what seems to be the left forearm. The rest of Team Dai-Gurren are positioned at various points in the limbs and appendeges, all operating in Lagann-style cockpits. Its abdominal jaw is clenched onto the head of the Lazengann, containing a fully resurrected Lordgenome.
It has been confirmed in the data books that the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is 10 million light years in height, making it roughly one hundred times the size of the Milky Way Galaxy. It is the the third largest mecha in anime to date, the other two being the Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and the Super Granzeboma.
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann draws jointly on abilities from its many pilots, including Simon's drills, Yoko's rifle, Viral's swords and so on. The actual limit of the mecha's abilities is immeasurable, as it gains an infinite amount of power depending on the pilots' will to win. At points, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and the Anti-Spirals' Granzeboma fight at forces equal to the Big Bang, the battle being so intense it was shown to rip holes through various dimensions showing that the power of each was on a extreme scale. This is furthered by the fact that they can alter the fundamental laws of reality, such as altering probability and creating matter out of thin air (which is no small feat even by the series' own standard, as the various drills and weapons materialized are larger than most small galaxies).
AppearanceTengen Toppa Gurren Lagann resembles the original Gurren-Lagann, albeit with a more intensely themed appearance. Its armor is covered in various draconic skulls and faces; since the number of total faces is equal to the number of key pilots of the mech, it can be assumed that these are its cockpits. The head wears a more symmetrical version of Lagann's helmet, while the chest face wears a pair of non-functional sunglasses. Its abdominal mouth is clamped onto the Lazengann's head, which Lordgenome can detach and use to create a galactic-scale Lazengann. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, bears striking resemblance to Super Robot Wars/Taisen Original Generation's Persönlichkeit . It is quite possible that Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is based of Persönlichkeit , due to the reason that Gainax also participated in many productions of Super Robot Wars/Taisen.
- Theoretically if the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is 10 million light years across, it would mean that its eventual battle with the equally large Granzeboma would last several billion years, considering that nothing can exceed the speed of light. This would mean that swinging an arm alone might be a feat that would traverse several million light years, which will require the same number of years in real time, to execute. However, since relativistic physics are taken into consideration, it would mean that the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann experiences severe time dilation effects that would theoretically make what seems to be a billion years last only several seconds, if the battle occurs at near light speed. Thus, the battle shown might be a condensed event that occurs not from the observer's objective time frame, but from the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann's subjective time frame. If the battle really took several billion years though, in actuality, the galaxies should dwindle in terms of their stellar intensity due to the end of solar rebirth cycles caused by the heat death of the universe, assuming a situation whereby a big crunch does not happen.
- Another possibility is that the "movements" of the mech are actually the mech teleporting its body parts around to block and attack. Instantaneous teleportation is possible according to the storyline and it would seem as if the robot was actually making fliud motions. It would allow the parts of the mech to move millions of light years at a time, making it entirely possible for a battle of that scale to occur. We must assume that since the Granzeboma was made to counter the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, it would operate using basically the same principles.
- Another possibility is that the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann travels millions of light years using an alternate dimension. It is entirely possible that by escaping the Extradimensional Labyrinth, Simon and the other pilots also gained the ability to traverse dimensions. If not, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is solely capable of ripping holes in time-space, as its smaller brethen, Super Galaxy Gurren Lagann, was entirely capable of. By entering seperate dimensions and emerging at different point in that universe, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is capable of fighting across millions of light years.
- Also, if the battle between the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and the Granzeboma really did occur at such an immense inter-galactic scale which also caused several Big Bang level explosions to occur while they were hurling entire gargantuan galaxies at each other, the number of civilizations that they might have destroyed in the crossfire might have been several billion, assuming that a typical galaxy holds about 1 million intelligent civilizations. If each civilization has an upper bound of 1 million people (which will be destroyed by the anti-Spirals if that is reached), the number of casualties in the "duel" between the two giant battle bots might have not just been 1 (the death of the Anti-spiral collective consciousness), but several thousands of trillions. If the battle really did last for several billion years, it would give ample time for more intelligent races to evolve, thereby increasing the number of such civilizations by up to ten-fold, making the number of casualties even more staggering
- Also, since nothing can move faster than the speed of light, it would mean that information being relayed from the movement of the body parts of the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann would take nearly millions of years to reach its controllers, since the light from it would need to cover that amount of distance. In reality, the pilots controlling it will feel immense space-time distortions on their screens, due to the unsynchronized information feedback from different body parts (i.e it takes far longer for light from the leg to reach the eye, then it does for a hand placed in front of the face). Unless time dilation reduces its effect dramatically, Simon would not be able to see the enemy and react almost "at the same time" to execute evasive maneuvers. It must necessarily be true that there is a fastest possible speed (such as the speed of light in our universe) in the physics of Gurren Lagann, attributing to the nature of Black Holes and the Spiral Nemesis. If something could travel faster than light, there would be no black holes, and thus no Spiral Nemesis could occur. If there is a fixed maximum velocity, there must necessarily be time and gravitation dilation, suggesting that the battle indeed lasted billions of years.
- Considering that the battle took place with so many Big Bang level explosions with inflationary powers that might introduce a lot new mass into the universe without any averse side effects, it is possible that the universe that Gurren Lagann was in, was a universe with a low cosmological constant; meaning that the universe was probably open and susceptible to a possible heat death by expanding ad infinitum. Introducing so much additional mass into the universe might have increased that constant, and caused it to become flat, meaning that it will expand, but only up till a certain point, but never contract. On the other hand, it may have become closed, meaning that gravitational energy exceeds thermodynamic energy, which will eventually cause it to collapse onto itself again to form a Big Crunch, and the dreaded Spiral Nemesis before that. If that is the case, it would occur that the Spiral Nemesis might never have been possible until the Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann's final battle, which unlocked its possibility. Nonetheless, one possible way of avoiding an infinite Spiral Nemesis in which another Big Bang can never be created is to possibly create more mass to increase the surface of the super massive black hole formed, to increase the chances of quantum mechanical activity causing quantum tunneling to cause the black hole to evaporate through the formation of virtual particle-antiparticle pairs. This would allow some mass to escape in the form of energy, in which sentient races can use to their benefit. Of course, theoretically, for a black hole the size of the universe to evaporate through quantum tunneling processes alone, it would take several trillion to the power of several hundred years. This means that the Spiral Nemesis, while unavoidable in certain situations, will eventually undo itself and cause the universe to be reborn in a cyclical process. Avoiding a Spiral Nemesis and a heat death is also possible if intelligent life interferes with the direct cosmological process of the universe by using their spiral energies to balance the amount of mass in the universe by shifting them from one side to another to avoid increased entropy, and by stop creating too much mass.
- It is possible that the final battle between Granezamboa and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann happened in a completely separate dimension. As stated by LordGenome, "A Super Spiral Universe, where thought is given form." This could be an explanation as to the speed of the mechas, as well as why the people on Earth were able to watch it unfold as the viewer could though the portal. It also dismisses any worries of genocide in the cross-fire, since the galaxies are mostly empty of life.
- In addition, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann can also alter pobability, as shown with its missles changing a 0% hit rate into a higher number. This ability to change pobability from impossible to possible most likey enables it to move faster than light. The probability of moving faster than light, just like the possibility of the missle hitting, was 0. But just like the missle, the probability may have been increased so they could travel faster than light.
- In addition, since Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is made from pure spiral energy, it is essentially the mind power of the pilots. As a result, it is entirely possible for the mind power to move faster than light since mind power has not been conclusively proven as slower than light. However, due to the fact that all bodily processes move below the speed of light and all energy moves at the speed of light, it is unlikely that "mind power" would factor into how fast an object is able to move.
- The second movie implies that the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is an organic, living being; as the Anti-Spiral rips it to pieces, flesh and blood can be seen in gratuitous amounts.
- If Spiral Energy did not defy the law of conservation of energy, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann would have been so massive that entire galaxies would have been pulled towards (and possibly merge with) it due to gravitational attraction.
- Unless the battle between Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Granzeboma involved only Spiral Energy, the people observing the battle would, at the very least, have been permanently blinded purely from the amount of visible light released.